Seafood lovers from all parts of the world enjoy lobster roll as a snack on the go. This article describes the calories in lobster roll. Read on to know whether the popular fast food item ‘lobster roll’ can be incorporated in a healthy diet.
How can a seafood enthusiast avoid the temptation of eating a lobster roll? Steamed, broiled, grilled or boiled lobsters can trigger your appetite and can keep you satiated for a longer period. Lobster meat is used to prepare sandwiches, salads, sushi rolls and hot dog rolls, at fast food centers. Lobsters enhance the taste and nutritional value of the food. A sandwich filled with lobster meat and served with potato fries and dill pickles is loved by kids as well as the elderly.
Lobster and Lobster Roll Facts
- Lobsters are low in calories and fat. Lobsters can be included in any weight loss diet.
- Various crustacean species are recognized as lobsters, but clawed lobsters, the large marine crustaceans, are especially known for their flavor and texture.
- Spiny lobsters, slipper lobsters, squat lobsters, reef lobsters and crayfish are some of the most commonly known varieties of lobsters.
- Lobsters have 10 legs. The presence of hemocyanin, (that contains copper) in lobster’s blood makes the blood blue.
- Lobsters are marine creatures and they eat fresh fish, mollusks, small crabs, mussels, worms and plants. They do not eat rotten food.
- Lobsters are not excessively loaded with mercury. They contain as much mercury as any other fish would contain. According to the FDA, the mean level of mercury in an American lobster is 0.31ppm.
- ‘Maine lobster’ is known for its exclusive taste and flavor. This year, you can enjoy lobster dishes at the lobster festival in Rockland, during 3 – 7 August.
- Lobster is a good source of lean protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Consumption of lobsters help improve your health in several ways.
- Lobsters are loaded with nutrients like potassium, zinc, vitamin B12 and selenium, which help strengthen your immune system and protect you from various diseases.
- Lobster roll is a type of lobster sandwich. The roll contains lobster meat and mayonnaise. The ingredients are stuffed in a hot dog bun which is grilled.
- Here are a few lobster roll recipes for you to try. You can choose a quick and easy one to start with.
- You can add butter instead of mayonnaise. Celery, scallion, lettuce, lemon juice, salt and pepper, make the roll more delicious.
- Traditional restaurants serve lobster rolls with potato fries. In the U.S., lobster rolls from the state of Maine are quite popular; although they are available in almost all restaurants in all states.
- In Maine, the hot dog bun is lightly grilled, but lobster meat is served cold. The meat usually contains pieces of knuckle, claw, and tail meat. The Connecticut lobster roll comes with warm lobster.
Calories in Lobster Roll
- One cooked spiny lobster (163 g) contains 233 calories.
- One cooked spiny lobster (3 oz. / 85 g) contains 122 calories.
- 100 g of cooked spiny lobster contains 143 calories.
- Traditional Maine lobster roll served at Yankee Pier contains 670 calories.
- One small (227 g) Papa Gino’s lobster roll contains 554 calories.
- One serving of lobster roll (sushi) contains 353 calories.
- One lobster roll with avocado (Okami sushi) contains 220 calories.
- One lobster salad roll (sushi) contains 235 calories.
- One Papa Gino’s lobster roll sub sandwich (small: 227 g) contains 555 calories.
- One serving of Southwestern lobster roll with red lobster contains 870 calories.
- One small lobster roll (184 g) from D’Angelo contains 390 calories.
- One lobster roll (low-fat version of New England sandwich) contains 310 calories.
Although lobsters are low in fat and calories, lobster rolls are high in calories and fat. Depending upon the method of preparation and ingredients, calories in lobster rolls may vary from place to place. Mayonnaise and butter increase the calories in the roll. Avoid excessive consumption of lobster rolls because they are high in sodium. Fat, sodium and cholesterol from lobster rolls can affect your overall health. Enjoy a lobster roll once in a while. You should check the calories and ingredients in the roll, before ordering one. Although lobster is a mouth-watering delicacy, consumption of excessive calories can lead to weight gain and related health problems.