This article will help you get an insight on the possible dangers or health concerns associated with soy products.
Soy is the fruit of the soybean plant that is extensively used in a variety of dishes and also as a source of protein. It is popularly used in the Asian cuisine. There are several health benefits associated with soy. It is an excellent source of protein for vegetarians. However, what we are unaware of is that there are certain possible risks and long-term side effects associated with soybeans.
Possible Side Effects of Soy Products
Soy naturally contains toxins like trypsin inhibitors, hemaglutinin, phytic acid, and phytoestrogens. Presence of these anti-nutrients gives rise to several side effects or negative effects on consuming soy products. However, these are potential side effects and usually occur if soy products are taken in very large amounts regularly.
- Trypsin inhibitors in soy products interfere with protein digestion and can lead to disorders of the pancreas.
- The Hemaglutinin is responsible for clumping of red blood cells together to form clots, which can obstruct several bodily functions.
- Side effects can occur due to the presence of phytic acid or phytates. It inhibits the absorption of certain essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc, and iron.
- It is believed to have adverse effect on the thyroid gland. The phytoestrogens in soy products can cause hypothyroidism and autoimmune thyroid diseases in people.
- Soy milk is believed to contain phytoestrogens which function in similar way as estrogen (a female hormone). It may lead to reproductive disorders.
- As mentioned above, soy products inhibit the absorption of calcium, this in turn, leads to increase in the requirement of vitamin D.
- Soy foods also contain considerable amounts of aluminum that can lead to kidney diseases if consumed in large amounts.
- Those advocating for soy should also be aware of the potential dangers of soy proteins. It is proposed that soy foods inhibit the benefits of other foods and nutrients in the body.
Treating Side Effects of Soy
On reading this, one may wonder whether you should stop the intake of soy completely? Then the answer to it is NO, it is not necessary to stop eating soy foods and products entirely. As it is mentioned above, these negative effects can occur only when a person consumes a large amount of it, for a longer time. Therefore, it is advisable to consume soy products in limited amount and not rely only on it for proteins.
Many people debate that Asians consume soy on a regular basis, but, still do not experience any negative effects. The reason for it is that Asians use soy as a condiment and hence, consume it in small amounts. Also, it is recommended to have soy in fermented form rather than the raw one to reduce the effects of the toxins in it. It is advisable to consult the doctor if you experience any side effects on consuming soy products.
The reader may come across several arguments for and against the uses and consequences of consuming soy. Not all people may experience all the aforementioned side effects. It is for oneself to decide whether a certain product is suitable or not. Secondly, in case you are allergic to soy, make sure to check labels of food products. Lastly, one should also remember that excess of anything is always harmful. Take care!
Disclaimer: This article is meant only to provide information. It is recommended to consult the doctor in case you experience any discomfort on consuming any foodstuff.