Though fish oil capsules are considered to be safe for consumption and are given without prescription, there are a few reported side effects. Through this article let us discuss these side effects and information regarding this issue.
Fish oil is a dietary supplement, which is extracted from the fatty tissues of fish like tuna, cod, mackerel, salmon, etc. This fat is then manufactured into pills or capsules and sold in the market. Oil capsules are very popular, since they have a number of health benefits. This oil is a rich source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which is good for the heart and overall cardiovascular health. It is beneficial for children, since it helps in both physical and mental development. A healthy, glowing skin, thick hair, strong immune system are some of the fish oil benefits. However, side effects can occur if there is an overdose, or if the fish from which the oil is extracted is contaminated due to mercury poisoning or other toxins.
Nowadays, water contains a number of pollutants, which, in turn, can harm the fish and contaminate the oil extracted from them. This further can cause harm to people consuming the oil. An overdose of this nutritional supplement can also have some adverse effects on the body, which must be brought to the immediate notice of the doctor to avoid further complications.
- One of the possible side effects is the occurrence of skin rashes, which may appear as small, red boils that cause excessive itching.
- The negative effects of this oil in children, are persistent diarrhea, symptoms related to flu, fever, etc. These side effects can occur due to the long-term usage of fish oil supplements, without proper consultation.
- Another ill-effect of a high dosage of these supplements is that, they develop a feeling of fullness or bloating sensation in the stomach. Pain in the abdominal region, indigestion, heartburn, and burping can also occur as a reaction to excessive dosage of fish oil capsules.
- An overdose can result in thinning of the blood, increase in the levels of vitamins in the body leading to toxicity and trouble in clotting of blood. The side effects can be seen in the form of nosebleed, allergies, fishy smell in the mouth, etc.
- Too much supplement intake can result in some severe side effects, like, brain hemorrhage, which can lead to brain damage, stroke, excessive bleeding, and rise in the levels of bad cholesterol or LDL in the blood, resulting in heart attacks.
Our body is unable to produce omega-3 fatty acids, hence we derive it from fish and other supplements of fish oil in the form of capsules. There are many health benefits of this oil, since they contain eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which are the two major components of omega-3 fatty acids. Given below are some of the health benefits of consuming fish oil supplements:
- One of the major benefits of omega-3 fish oil is that, this supplement helps in fighting against the symptoms of cardiovascular diseases and keeps this condition at bay. It also keeps a check on the blood pressure and ensures proper functioning of the heart.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces the inflammation and pain caused due to conditions, like, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis etc. It also helps in soothing the burning sensation in the gastrointestinal tract caused due to colitis and ulcers.
- When taken by pregnant women, it helps in proper growth and development of the fetus, especially the brain and the eyes. It also reduces the risk of a premature delivery.
- The skin also benefits from this oil, as it offers a glow to the skin while preventing blemishes, acne, or scars.
- Other benefits of taking this oil supplement include, relief from stress and depression. It also helps in losing weight in a much healthy way.
These were some of the positive as well as negative effects fish oil may have on the body, in case of over-consumption. This dietary supplement must be taken in the required quantity only after discussing the dosage with a medical practitioner. If any of the adverse effects in children or adults are observed, then it is advisable to consult a doctor immediately.