The medicinal benefits of green tea are known to mankind since ancient times. This article mainly highlights about its benefits for men. Read on to know more…
Basically, green tea are leaves of Camellia sinensis plant which is native to Asia. Black tea is also obtained from the very same plant. However, green tea is comparatively more beneficial because of the way the leaves are being processed. Green tea undergoes a light processing which enables it to retain the antioxidant qualities of the tea leaves intact. Whereas, the method of processing for black tea induces oxidation which removes a large amount of antioxidants from it. Thus we can say that the benefits of green tea are owing to the presence of high amount of antioxidants in it.
Health Benefits of Green Tea for Men
Green tea is a rich source of an organic substance named polyphenols. The most vital component of polyphenols is epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which cannot be found in any other teas. It is considered as one of the most powerful antioxidants that enables it to fight the damaging effects of free radicals on the body cells really well. Thus it can prevent several health disorders that are associated with aging. Some key benefits are as follows:
- Green tea is highly beneficial for improving the overall cardiovascular health. The component EGCG present in this tea can lower the level of bad cholesterol in the body and increase the level of good cholesterol. This way atherosclerosis or fatty deposits on the arterial walls is controlled and narrowing down of the arteries can be prevented. Thus it brings down high blood pressure which in turn reduces the chances of serious cardiovascular diseases and heart attack.
- Green tea reduces the risk of prostate cancer in men to a great extent. EGCG present in green tea acts as anticarcinogenic agent and prevents uncontrolled growth of cancerous cells in the body. Moreover, it can also destroy the malignant cells existing in the body without causing any harm to the healthy tissues of the body. Thus it can slow down the growth process of prostate cancer. Other forms of cancer that can be prevented with the help of green tea are bladder cancer, stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer and skin cancer.
- Since ancient times, it is known to us that green tea has the ability to control the blood sugar levels of diabetic patients. Regular consumption of green tea can keep the level of blood sugar under check. Evidence from various studies suggest that the chances of developing type 2 diabetes can be lessened by having green tea on a daily basis.
- It provides protection to the liver from various forms of serious liver diseases. It can control the damaging effects of alcohol on the liver. Studies have also found that catechins or EGCG in green tea has a healing effect on the inflammation of the liver caused due to infection by hepatitis virus. Thus it can be used for the treatment of viral hepatitis.
- It is good for arthritic patients as its anti-inflammatory properties reduce the swelling of the joints caused by the disease. It can also slow down the overall process of degeneration of the soft cartilage tissues of the body joints. Thus it can bring about marked improvement in the condition of patients suffering from arthritis.
- It has excellent anti-microbial properties that cures several infections. It can fight off infections caused by various types of virus that include influenza virus and herpes simplex virus. It possesses the ability to kill the bacteria that causes food poisoning and prevents gastrointestinal disorder. It effectively controls growth of bacteria inside the mouth and tackles problems like tooth decay and bad breath.
- It helps a lot in bringing down the inflammation inside the gastrointestinal tract. People suffering from inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis should have green tea for decreasing the inflammation of the bowel. Gastritis characterized by swelling and irritation in the stomach lining can be prevented with the help of green tea.
- If you are trying to lose body weight, then you should use green tea for this purpose. The polyphenols in green tea accelerate the rate of metabolism of the fatty substances. It also suppresses the activities of the lipase enzyme in the digestive tract that facilitate absorption of fats in the body. Thus it can reduce body fats by burning off excess calories and at the same time preventing further fat absorption in the body.
There are no major side effects of green tea as long as you are taking it in moderate amounts of 4 – 5 cups a day. Over consumption of green tea can lead to insomnia as it has some amount of caffeine in it. If your body is sensitive towards caffeine, then you must take green tea in a very small dose as too much of green tea can lead to problems like irregular heartbeat, dizziness, loss of appetite, etc.