Many people are looking for ways of sprouting quinoa, as it is said to be very nutritious. If you are one of them, then you are at the right place. This article will give you complete information on how to sprout this nutritious crop.
Quinoa is a crop that looks like grains, but is actually a pseudo-cereal. This grain-like crop, which is found in South America, is called so because it contains edible seeds. Actually, it belongs to the family of vegetables, like spinach, beets, etc., as its leaves are eaten in the form of leafy vegetables. It is the staple diet of the native inhabitants of South America, particularly Andes, and is often referred to as the sacred “mother grain”. It is said to be one of the best sources of proteins because it contains the eight amino acids, that are essential for human tissue development.
Apart from proteins, quinoa is also rich in potassium, iron, and other minerals and vitamins. Due to its high nutritional value, it is one of the best foods that help in preventing as well as treating a host of health problems. Though there are various ways in which this crop is used for cooking, the best is by sprouting it. This helps in enhancing the nutritional value because the vitamin content multiplies through the process of germination.
How to Sprout Quinoa
This grain is oval in shape, and is available in various colors, like yellow, black, brown, and red. There are actually two ways to sprout it, both of which are easy to make. The best part is that you do not need to invest on a special equipment to sprout it. So, let us take a look at both the ways of sprouting these seeds.
1. In a container, take whatever amount of quinoa you want. It is best to take a small amount as once sprouted, it has to be eaten within 2 weeks. Also, when it is sprouted, the seeds increase triple in size. Here, we will take the example of one cup.
2. Once taken, rinse the seeds with water 3-4 times. This helps in getting rid of the broken seeds, stones, weeds, and sticks present in it.
3. Once this is done, fill the container with clean water, such that all seeds are immersed in it.
4. Allow the quinoa to stay in the water for 12 hours, preferably overnight.
5. In the morning, drain the water, and transfer the seeds in a flat plate or tray.
6. Close the mouth of the plate with a piece of cloth.
7. After 6-8 hours, take the seeds in the container, and rinse them again.
8. Then, the seeds should be again put into the flat plate, and covered with the cloth. This process should be continued for 48 hours.
9. After 2 days, you will receive a tray of sprouted quinoa to be eaten, as per your wish.
1. Just like in the first method, even here you have to begin by rinsing the quinoa to clean it thoroughly.
2. Once rinsed, put in a container, and fill it with water. Make sure that you take extra water so that the seeds are completely soaked in it.
3. Allow these seeds to remain in water for 7-8 hours.
4. After 8 hours, drain out the water in which the seeds were soaked and rinse and then, drain them again.
5. Refill clean water in the container, and place the container in the refrigerator for 12 hours. You will receive sprouted quinoa after 12 hours.
6. The time of sprouting will also depend on how long you want the sprouts to be.
7. If you want longer sprouts, you will have to keep the sprouts for a longer time, and vice versa. Checking the sprouts from time to time can help you in achieving the desired sprout length.
Usually, these sprouts, like other sprouts, are eaten raw by adding them to salads, soups, etc. Some people also use them in stir-fry dishes, and even to make cookies. Here is a salad dish that you can make by using these sprouts.
- To make this salad, take a cup of the sprouts in a bowl and add diced tomato (one large), and chopped fresh parsley (1 bunch) to it.
- Pour lemon juice made of one large lemon, and mix by adding a dash of kosher salt to it.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the salad and serve.
Sprouted quinoa is a rich source of fiber, and also contains the essential omega-3 fatty acids. As it does not contain gluten, this sprout is good for people suffering from its allergy. All said and done, the best thing about this sprout is that it has no fat content, and hence, it is perfect for people who are trying to lose weight. So, try making sprouted quinoa with the help of one of these methods, and add it to your daily diet for achieving good health.