Table salt that is mined from underground salt deposits using dynamite, is a highly processed version of rock salt. Whereas Himalayan pink salt is the purest form of salt that naturally contains iodine and more than 80 minerals.
Did You Know?
Contrary to the popular belief that daily intake of salt is not necessary, it has been proven that the body requires 200 mg salt every day.
Table salt, which is mostly iodized, is often considered to be good for health. Iodine is crucial for normal thyroid function and helps in preventing goiter, a condition that causes inflammation of the thyroid.
Table salt is extracted from deposits in the ancient underground seabed. These salt deposits are a good source of minerals but they are so much processed and refined that hardly any nutritional content remains. This is what differentiates table salt from Himalayan pink salt.
The Himalayan pink salt comes from within the deep pristine environment of the Himalayan ranges. The salt is unrefined and hand-mined, which means most of its nutritional value remains intact.
Table Salt Vs. Himalayan Pink Salt
♦ The table salt that we consume everyday needs to be iodized (fortified with iodine) to up its nutritional quotient.
♦ Iodization is not necessary for Himalayan pink salt as it naturally has a good concentration of iodine.
♦ The refined table salt has a plain white color.
♦ The Himalayan salt is a combination of various colors, thanks to its high mineral content. Although it is known for its attractive pink color, it can come in different shades of pink and red.
♦ Synthetic compounds, commonly referred to as anti-caking agents (calcium silicate or sodium silicoaluminate), are often added to table salt. They either absorb excessive moisture or coat the particles to repel moisture. Either way it works to prevent salt particles from clumping together. Hence, table salt is often referred to as free-flowing salt that does not form lumps.
♦ Extracted from the ancient sea salt deposits (salt caves) of the Himalayan ranges, Himalayan pink salt is the purest form of salt and does not contain any synthetic chemicals.
♦ Heavy processing that gives a fine texture to table salt causes significant loss of minerals.
♦ Himalayan pink salt is non-iodized and undergoes minimal processing. It is unrefined and hence is able to retain its vital minerals. That is why, 84 minerals including trace minerals naturally occur in the Himalayan pink salt.
Sodium Chloride (NaCl)
♦ Being heavily processed, content of sodium chloride in conventional table salt is a whopping 99%.
♦ The minimally processed Himalayan pink salt is 85% sodium chloride, while the rest 15% is mineral content.
♦ Rock salt from which table salt is made, is obtained through conventional mining that involves use of explosives such as dynamite.
♦ Extracting Himalayan pink salt involves hand-mining, meaning hand tools such as hammers, spades, picks, and shovels may be used for breaking the rocks. Dynamites are strictly prohibited to extract Himalayan pink salt.
As conventional salt is highly processed, having it in excess can wreak havoc to your health. On the other hand, Himalayan pink salt, being a rich source of minerals, can provide plenty of health benefits. It helps regulate your pH levels, helps maintain fluid balance, rids your body of toxins, and facilitates adequate absorption of nutrients. It may also help alleviate symptoms associated with arthritis, psoriasis, skin rashes, and herpes.