What is a whole food diet? Which food to consume in this diet? Are these diet recipes different from regular food recipes? To get the answers for these nutrition-related queries, read on.
With the advancement in medical science, lots of research has been done to identify the healthiest diet for optimal health and well-being. Studies reveal that eating habits adopted by our ancestors, some hundreds of years ago are best for reaping maximum nutrients from the food we eat. This is where the concept of whole food diet comes to the picture.
What is a Whole Food Diet Plan?
According to nutrition experts, it is best to eat food in their natural form or at least, closer to their natural form. Modern diet and unhealthy lifestyle habits take their toll on our health. In due course of time, we end up experiencing weight gain, general discomfort, and medical conditions. Hence, more and more health conscious people are following the route of eating a whole food diet to stay way from the adverse effects of the modern diet plan. The information below will help you understand whole food diet and tips for following the same.
- The raw whole food diet list includes unpolished grains, unprocessed meat, fresh fruits, vegetables, unprocessed fish, and unhomogenized milk. In general, dark green veggies and colorful fruits and vegetables are loaded with healthy nutrients.
- Stay away from dietary supplements; include fresh fruits and vegetables. These natural plant-based food provide fiber, vitamins, and minerals, which are essential for optimal health.
- Instead of consuming processed grains, include whole grained cereals in the healthy diet. Refined grains are flavored and tastier, but fiber and some nutrients are lost during the processing steps.
- Refrain from white flour and white sugar as far as possible. In comparison to whole-wheat flour, white flour contains negligible amount of dietary fiber, which is crucial for maintaining a healthy digestive system.
- Serve lots of vegetable salads and mixed fruit salads. They are not healthy for our body system, but they taste delicious. Add varieties of salad ingredients, so that you do not get bored eating the same salad every time.
- In the whole food diet meal plan, serve a bowl of fruits for breakfast for a change. You do not have to buy pricey fruits at all times. Shop for seasonal fruits at their peak seasons and serve them for breakfast or meals.
- Coming to beverages, avoid gulping down carbonated drinks, beer, and cocktails. Rather you can substitute them with water, herbal tea, fruit juices, skim milk, and soy milk. Also, do not use sugar in making healthy drinks.
- If you love to have smoothies or milk shakes, consider making them on your own with fresh seasonal fruits. That way, you can reap more nutrients, when compared to flavored icee or slushy.
- Any type of food, including legumes, beans, nuts, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, should be consumed in unrefined forms. Once processed, much of the antioxidants, vitamins, good fats, phytochemicals, and other nutrients are reduced or removed from the food items.
Whole Food Diet Recipe Ideas
You will be surprised to know that the food recipes for whole food diet are very easy to try out at home. Not many of us have the time to prepare food from the base step and end up devouring processed products or ready-to-eat packaged food. This is the major reason for decreased stamina levels, accumulation of bodily toxins, and digestive problems. So, in order to improve general health, learn whole food diet recipes and serve healthy food to your family members.
Baked Potato and Sour Cream
Excellent for serving as healthy snacks, bake potato (white or red skin), sprinkle salt and pepper, and serve with green onion. You can use sour cream in small amounts for better taste. This whole food diet recipe is much healthier than potato chips served with dipping sauce.
Smoothies and Shakes
For both kids and adults, smoothies are excellent for providing the health benefits of milk and fruits in their natural form. Making smoothies is as easy as adding your favorite fruits (strawberries, blueberries, banana, mangoes, etc.) and milk (or yogurt) in a mixer, and blending it for 2 to 3 minutes.
Grilled Chicken and Veggies
Chicken nuggets sounds tasty, but are you aware about the fats and additives used for making those tempting pieces? Yes, they contain high calories. So, whenever you crave for chicken, prepare it on your own at home. For lunch or dinner, you can bake or grill chicken. To complement it, serve barbecue veggies on the sides.
Most of us remain busy with so many things to stay comfortable in life, but very often we forget that health is wealth, and nothing is more important than staying fit and disease free. Hence, even if you have a hectic schedule, spend some time out everyday to plan for healthy eating, loaded with whole food items. What’s more, whole foods give a satiated feeling for longer, thus helping in weight control.