Apart from its delicious taste, yogurt has a lot more to offer to the human body. Hence, we have compiled the most important facts about the nutrition and the miraculous health benefits of yogurt, in this NutriNeat article.
People from different cultures have always enjoyed the rich taste and the various health benefits of yogurt. Recently, further research has proven that, not only can you enjoy this delicious snack, but you can also derive a host of health benefits from it. Of course, flavored yogurt is full of fats and lesser nutrition. However, regular and low-fat yogurt can be transformed into delicious side dishes, salad dressings, and even desserts. How you enjoy this tasty food is your choice, just remember to keep it healthy. Here, we bring to you the nutritional information of this healthy food item, as well as, details of the health benefits of this accompaniment to your meals.
Given below is the nutritional information of plain, low-fat, and Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is a slight variation of regular yogurt, in that it is creamier, and has a richer texture than the regular type. Greek yogurt also has higher protein and a lower carbohydrate content, but at the same time, contains lesser calcium. It forms a great base for various dips and salad dressings. Depending on your requirements, you may choose Greek or regular yogurt.
|Type of Yogurt||Calories||Cholesterol||Carbohydrates||Fats||Protein||Calcium||Magnesium||Phosphorus||Potassium||Zinc||Selenium|
|Plain Yogurt (Whole Milk, 1 cup – 245 g)||149||31.9 mg||11.4 g||8.0 g||8.5 g||296 mg||29.4 mg||233 mg||380 mg||1.4 mg||5.4 mcg|
|Low Fat Yogurt (1 cup – 245 g)||154||14.7 mg||17.2 g||3.8 g||12.9 g||448 mg||41.7||353 mg||573 mg||2.2 mg||8.31 mcg|
|Greek Yogurt (2/3 cup – 150 g)||130||20.0 mg||5.0 g||8.0 g||11.0 g||100 mg||–||–||–||–||–|
The Health Benefits
Yogurt is extremely rich in calcium. Apart from that, it is also a rich source of the important minerals required by the body, including iodine. Take a look at all the health benefits yogurt has to offer.
- Regular consumption of yogurt boosts the immune system. It has the ability to control infections, and therefore, protects the body from diseases that are caused by the same.
- It has the ability to reduce LDL or bad cholesterol and increase HDL i.e., the good cholesterol.
- The rich calcium content makes it a great food to promote bone health. Moreover, studies have proven that the consumption of calcium rich foods is related to fat loss. Not only does it aid fat loss, but also retains the lean muscles that are required for the strength of the body.
- Studies have also shown that eating yogurt daily helps in preventing as well as healing the pain and inflammation caused by arthritis.
- Its cooling effect helps in preventing and healing ulcers of the mouth and the stomach.
- One may even keep the risk of colorectal cancer at bay, by having a daily serving of yogurt. This is particularly true of yogurt prepared from whole milk. Though it is high in saturated fat, it has the ability to ward off the risk of cancer, and thereby, keep the body healthy and safe.
- A little known fact is that eating yogurt without sugar, prevents the development of bad breath by lowering the levels of hydrogen sulfide in the mouth, and preventing tongue-coating. Moreover, it also has the ability to prevent gingivitis, cavities, and the formation of dental plaque.
It is low in calories, and rich in a lot of nutrients that are essential for the body. With all these details explained, do you really need another reason to enjoy this yummy food? Eat it exactly how you like it, and make the most of all that it has to offer.