The requirement of protein in the body is more than the other nutrients. It is present in all body cells particularly the muscles. There are many natural sources of protein, however, protein from these sources might not be enough for gym regulars, athletes, bodybuilders, or even people who have a very hectic lifestyle. Choosing the best supplement is really a difficult task. The following article provides information on some of the popular whey protein brands.
Dietitians recommend a high protein diet to people interested in bodybuilding. The amino acids which help synthesize proteins are the building blocks of our body. Some amino acids are termed as ‘essential amino acids’, and we need to include them in our diet, as our body is not able to synthesize them. Whey protein, which is a by-product of cheese production, provides us essential amino acids, and promotes the synthesis of proteins. You may select the supplement manufactured by a reliable brand. Depending upon your need of the supplement, you would select the brand and the type of this supplement.
Health Benefits of The Supplement
- This supplement plays an important role in weight management as well as weight loss. It contains minimal fat and cholesterol, and it helps improvise the body composition. Its bioactive components help reduce the appetite and promote fat burning. Thus, it promotes loss of fat. It lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases as well.
- The protein is rich in essential amino acids (EAAs) and branched chain amino acids (BCAAs). These amino acids promote protein synthesis by the body and help to maintain the muscle tissues. Since, it’s soluble in water, it is easily digested and absorbed by the body. So it is useful for infants, elderly, and for sportsmen who undergo endurance training.
- The amino acid cysteine, obtained from this supplement triggers the production of glutathione (an antioxidant), which helps strengthen the immune system. It protects you from various diseases and infections, and speeds up the recovery time.
- For professional athletes, it helps increase lean muscle mass by increasing the rate of metabolism. It also reduces the post workout muscle breakdown. It promotes fast muscle repair by reducing the recovery time significantly.
- This supplement is popularly known as ‘fast protein’, as it provides quick nourishment to the muscles. It plays an important role in pre as well as post workout nutrition.
- Athletes and body builders prefer it as it promotes muscle growth. It is good for increasing the size and strength of the muscle.
- Regular intake of these supplements improve the cognitive performance and the performance under stress. It promotes healthy aging.
- It also provides nourishment to severely ill people like cancer patients and to newborn infants as well.
- It also serves as a memory-booster.
This protein is present in the form of powders, protein bars, as well as drinks. Whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate are the two types of the supplements available in market. The former is about 75% pure protein by weight, while the latter is about 90% pure protein by weight. Another type of supplement that is available in the market, is the whey protein blend. The following table explains the difference between the three.
|Whey Protein||Description||Top 3 Brands|
|Concentrate powders||Cheapest (you can get 5 lb for less than USD 30), contains comparatively high levels of fat and lactose (so more calories per serving), can be used for muscle building||Elite Gourmet Whey Protein, NOW Foods Whey Protein, CNP 100% Whey Protein|
|Isolate powders||Relatively expensive than the concentrate and blends, have the most amount of protein per serving and are absolutely free of carbs, lactose, and fat, ideal for muscle building and fat loss||All The Whey Fat Free Whey Protein Isolate, Zero Carb IsoPure, Dymatize ISO-100 Isolate|
|Blends||Most popular, combination of whey protein concentrate and isolate, come with fantastic amino acid profile and at affordable cost.||Dymatize Elite Whey Powder, All The Whey Protein Blend, Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard|
|Designed for women||Offers natural energy, helps gain lean muscle mass, and fulfills the mineral need of the body||Fat Free Whey Protein Isolate, Dymatize ISO-100, Whey Protein Isolate Pure|
If you are looking for a supplement for building muscle, you can choose from the aforementioned brands. Also below listed are few more brands :
- ISS Research Complete Whey Power
- Bioplex Whey Plex
- Syntrax Nectar
- VPX Zero Carb Protein
- Designer Whey
- Native Whey Protein Isolate
- Premium Whey Protein Powder
- Optimum Nutrition’s 100% Whey
- Mega Whey
People who are, interested in bodybuilding and strength training, endurance athletes, following a weight loss program, interested in sports, pure vegetarians, and new to strength/weight training, can benefit through these supplements.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.