Hoodia ranked high on publicity, becoming a phenomenon of sorts, the world over. Though coveted mighty in aiding an individual to lose weight, does it, in the actual, promise exclusive benefits, or is it just another preposterous affectation on the ‘health’ aisle? So, before you take any further decision concerning hoodia, and its consumption, it would be sapient of you to consider another section of its import as well.
Hoodia is a stem succulent owing its provenance to the Kalahari desert in South Africa. While the African Bushmen – also regarded as the San clan – consumed the said succulent to suppress their hunger, the frequency of its consumption, and how effective the succulent is proven to be, are the burning questions keeping scientists on the edge of their seats till this date. Nevertheless, Hoodia has garnered an inundated reputation to carve out a figure that one desires. Simply put, hoodia has proven itself to be an efficacious supplement to lose weight. A belief worth chewing over: The African bushmen consumed hoodia to constrict their hunger pangs in order to keep them going during their hunting excursions. If the widespread publicity is to be believed, consuming hoodia is an activity easy as pie when equated with adhering to exercise routines, and diabolic diet regimen. Researchers have been beating their brains out to comprehend whether a religious intake of hoodia enunciates a positive outcome or is it the other way round. Was the African Bushman virtually tied to hoodia’s apron strings, consuming hoodia regularly, or intermittently? There are, well, over 20 species of hoodia plant; however, one that constitutes the properties of helping you cutthroat those pounds is found in one Hoodia Gordonii.
◼ Is Hoodia Safe for Consumption?
Many are known to consume hoodia diet pills, in order to lose weight. The ideal way to take hoodia diet pills is said to be 30 minutes before your meal. The effect of these pills is said to show after 14 days. People may question: “Is Hoodia dangerous?”, and they have every right to do so. We know that everything has its side effects, and hoodia, is no exception. It might help you reduce weight, but there are a few dangers associated with it, though they are minimal. Hoodia is a synthetic drug which is not required by our body. It may help you reduce weight instantly, but there is no guarantee whatsoever, that you will not put on weight in the future. The intensity, and types of hoodia side effects may vary from person to person. The most commonly observed hoodia dangers are given in the upcoming sections of the article. However, let us first understand the minutiae of quandaries, such as, what makes hoodia a premiere choice to lose weight, how it works, and its available forms. We would then proceed to the health perils of consuming hoodia and how other factors may add fuel to aggravate those side effects.
◼ What makes Hoodia Popular among the Masses?
Time has witnessed hoodia receiving fame for it being an effective medium to help the excess weight have its way ‘out’. Hoodia, for this reason, has its set of defenders, and refuters. Some swear by the befitting benefits of hoodia, while the others round off their opinion by deeming it as an affectation that has little to no sap to its acclaimed profundity. Hoodia gordonii constitutes an ingredient called P57 – an active appetite-suppressant molecule, when detected by the brain, triggers a region of the brain; namely, the hypothalamus. Now, this is where the fact of the matter lies. P57, in the actual, is the ingredient that makes you feel ‘full-filled’, thereby satiating your hunger. Hoodia increases the blood sugar levels. Increase of blood sugar levels sends a ‘not hungry’ signal to the brain. Thus, fewer calories are ingested, as you don’t feel those hunger pangs harassing you.
◼ What are the Available Forms of Hoodia?
Hoodia is available in three forms; namely, powdered, patches and sprays, and concentration. In order to derive hoodia in the powdered form, the plant is ground thoroughly. The concentrated form involves a more complex procedure to appeal to the mass-market. The liquid extraction derived from this method is coveted highly effective, courtesy the bare fact that the human body can process liquid content with rapidity when compared to the powdered form. Hoodia is also available in the form of sprays and patches; however, they have failed to stomp the market like their counterparts.
◼ What are the Possible Perils of Consuming Hoodia?
Side effects observed post the administration of hoodia formulation are the following –
- Some people experience an upset stomach after consuming hoodia.
- Hoodia may also cause headaches, making it difficult for one to carry on with his/her daily chores.
- In a few cases, hoodia is known to hamper the functioning of liver, due to an ingredient referred to as p5 being one of the constituents of hoodia.
- Research claims that hoodia regulates and thereby controls, a part of the brain responsible for one’s appetite. This could prove to be a severe hoodia danger. Thus, consumption of hoodia, in any form, acts as an appetite suppressant.
- Hoodia suppresses thirst as well, inadvertently leading to a restricted consumption of water. Hence, the amount of fluids required by the body might not be consumed, thus affecting the body.
- It is also said to interfere with the dose of medication the individual is prescribed to adhere to.
- Hoodia also increases the heart rate.
- At times, hoodia suppresses the hunger signals because of which the body might not respond to hunger. This is especially dangerous for diabetic patients, as their sugar levels may get affected.
- Hoodia is also said to reduce the metabolic rate as the body does not get the required calories. Low metabolism results in slow calorie burn.
- As it suppresses one’s hunger, a person would be deprived of an adequate intake of essential nutrients and minerals.
- Some people might experience drowsiness or lightheadedness.
- Hoodia may disrupt the smooth functioning of the kidneys.
People who suffer from diabetes, blood pressure or any kind of liver disease, are advised to avoid the consumption of hoodia. Instead of consuming hoodia to ward off the excess weight, it is far better to stub the daily calorie intake. The effect of hoodia on children, pregnant, or nursing women, is not known as yet. Hence, it is better to avoid its consumption.
◼ Are there any Other factors that Contribute to Side Effects of Hoodia?
There are probabilities that hoodia may hamper the well-being of an individual, when coupled or not, with a circumstance that further elevates the potency of these effects. Certain factors, such as the ones mentioned in this section, may lead to worsening the situation.
- Certain hoodia products on the market shelf constitute fillers; such as, cellulose, and silica in the name of pure hoodia. The ingredients may have side effects, mercilessly ripping your pockets in the bargain.
- Pure hoodia is found only in the South African desert region, and not anywhere else. If the original product is not available in the market, the vendor may tactfully hand you a supposed ‘substitute’ that supplants the effectiveness of hoodia. You are left high and dry, only to find that you have been duped. Leave alone the concept of mimicking the pure hoodia product, it may just turn out to be its body-double.
- There are some products that do not constitute the aerial stem of hoodia. This is the very substance of the product that delivers efficacy to the product.
It is far better to garner an expert consult, and deny the practice of self prescribing medication. Self administration is often perceived as a spot on medium for treatment, however, in the actual, we end up with a remedy that functions like a double-edged sword. It has no guarantee whether its consumption would improve, or deteriorate your counter of health. Ergo, caution, indeed, is the word. …
Note: The article published herein, is meant to accomplish pedagogical purposes only. The information, by no means, intends to supplant the diagnosis, and advice imparted by the medical practitioner.